Accessing and hosting QuickBooks software via the Internet
The Intuit Hosting Program allows QuickBooks users to:
- Have their licensed copies of QuickBooks desktop software installed on servers in an authorized remote hosting facility
- Use QuickBooks over the Internet on a virtual desktop, via a secure connection and a web browser
- Take advantage of all the benefits of QuickBooks, plus 24/7 access from anywhere they can connect to the Internet
You can benefit from the Intuit Hosting Program if you are a:
- QuickBooks user who wants to have their software hosted. Read more »
- Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor or Certified Intuit Solution Provider. Read more »
- Commercial hosting company that wants to serve QuickBooks customers. Read more »
Benefits for QuickBooks users
If you're using QuickBooks for your business, there are several advantages to having your licensed copies of QuickBooks hosted online:
- Reliable, anywhere/anytime access to your QuickBooks
- Business continuity in case there's a problem at your physical site
- Connectivity with remote offices or locations
- Continuous, automated, off-site data backup
- Save on technology costs
Interested? Here's what to do next:
- Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors
- Certified Intuit Solution Providers
If you're a Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor, or a Certified Intuit Solution Provider, you can manage your own local hosting environment for your clients -- through our Self-Host Program. We'll help you get started, quickly and easily.
Note: While you provide the hosting environment, you DON'T need to provide the QuickBooks software: each client will need valid QuickBooks licenses for every product and instance of QuickBooks they access from your hosting environment.
Self-Host Program requirements
To become authorized to host QuickBooks, firms must enter a self-hosting agreement with Intuit, which among other requirements, limits the number of hosted firm clients to two hundred (200) clients and the total number of hosted users to four hundred (400) users. Firms interested in hosting more than 200 clients and 400 users should explore our Commercial Hosting Program.
Each firm is solely responsible for the security, privacy, and availability of their hosting services, and Intuit does not endorse, certify or guarantee their services. Intuit does not provide instructions or other guidance on how to set up or manage a secure hosting environment.
Firms are required to have a written agreement with their clients governing their clients' use of the hosting services, and are encouraged to follow prudent data security, server reliability and privacy practices. Firms are also required to own or exclusively control their servers and all access to them.
There is a small initial set-up fee and annual renewal fee. The program also entitles firms to participate in Intuit's Self-Host forum board to share best practices and get help with hosting questions from other participants.
Enrolling in the Self-Host Program
- Send an email to the National Accounts Team requesting the Self-Host agreement and the contact name of Certified Pro Advisor or Certified Intuit Solution Provider at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Intuit will verify your current status as a Certified ProAdvisor or Certified Intuit Solution Provider.
- Execute and return Intuit's Self-Host Agreement, which includes Intuit's Self-Host Guidelines (via fax to 650-944-2785, attention: Intuit Hosting Program Manager).
- Intuit will invoice your firm for the required initiation fee (and annual fees thereafter).
- Firms may then initiate authorized hosting, in compliance with the program agreement.
Self-Host Program fees
- Initiation fee: $200
- Annual Renewal Fee: $100
Commercial Hosting Program
This program is designed for independent professional data centers and remote hosting companies to provide application hosting services to QuickBooks end users. These include accountants, bookkeepers, and other entities that wish to install and access their QuickBooks desktop software via a remote hosting facility.
To become an Intuit-Authorized Hosting company, your firm must undergo an application process, as well as an independent third-party accreditation. Then, if invited to participate, you'll enter into a licensing and distribution agreement with Intuit. Note that Intuit does not provide instructions or guidance on how to set up or manage a secure hosting environment.
Commercial Hosting Program benefits include:
- Ability to host licensed copies of QuickBooks software for its owners
- Ability to make limited use of an "Intuit Authorized Commercial Host" logo on its website and in Intuit-approved collateral materials
- Limited technical support from Intuit to the Commercial Host participant itself for its own QuickBooks-related questions
- A listing in the Authorized Commercial Host List on Intuit's Hosting Program web page
- Volume license discounts
- Optional participation in a special new monthly license subscription program
Fees are required for
- Initiation fees
- Independent accreditation
- Ongoing program participation
Each commercial host is solely responsible for the security, privacy and availability its hosting services, and while Intuit will require a third-party accreditation for each selected host. Intuit does not endorse, certify, sponsor, or guarantee host's services.
Additionally, commercial hosts are required to have a separate written agreement with their customers that governs the customers' use of the hosting services.
Commercial Host application process
- Send an email to the National Accounts Team to request the Request for Information (RFI) document at: email@example.com
- Email the completed "RFI" document and any related attachments to Intuit's National Accounts team at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Selected applicants will receive a copy of the Commercial Hosting contract terms, along with contact information for the MSP Alliance.
- Complete the MSP Alliance accreditation process, which includes payment of the non-refundable accreditation fee, completion of an MSP Alliance written exam and onsite facility inspection. (MSP Alliance is an independent third-party testing company not affiliated with Intuit.)
- Successful applicants will be invited to execute Intuit's Commercial Host Agreement, pay the required fees, and initiate authorized hosting services for their customers.
Commercial Hosting fees
- Initiation fee: $15,000
- Annual renewal fee: $5,000
- Per-user, per month fee: $5.00 per user (as defined in the commercial hosting agreement)
- Accreditation application fee: $3,000. This is a one-time non-refundable fee (charged directly by MSP Alliance) for conducting the accreditation process. Payment of this fee and the accreditation process are subject to MSP Alliance's own accreditation terms and conditions. Payment of this fee does not guarantee accreditation.
Commercial Host requirements
- Have a SAS-70 Type-II certified Tier 1 data center, physically located in the United States, with all hosting infrastructure and processes accredited by MSP Alliance
- Enter into a commercial hosting agreement with Intuit
- Pay the required initiation, monthly,and annual renewal fees, and submit basic monthly reporting corresponding to the monthly fees paid and numbers of licenses and users hosted
- Require all customers who are QuickBooks users to enter into a separate services agreement with host directly (which governs those customers' use of the hosting services, and which contains specific, required terms and conditions related to their use of QuickBooks software).
- Provide all QuickBooks users with ready access to their own individual QuickBooks license information
- Provide each QuickBooks user access to only those versions and version-years of QuickBooks for which he/she supplies you with license information
Intuit-Authorized Commercial Hosting companies
- Right Networks. Telephone: (888) 417 4448
- InsynQ, Inc. Telephone: (866) 206 1781
- Uni-Data & Communications, Inc. Telephone: (718) 445-5600 x3180
- Xcentric Telephone: (678) 297-0190
- Cloud9 Real Time Telephone: (888) 869-0076
- Coaxis International, Inc. Telephone: (850) 391-1022
- myownasp. Telephone: (800) 521-7322
- NovelAspect.com. Telephone: (888) 228-0143
- Swizznet. Telephone: (888) 794-9948
- Qutera. Telephone: (800) 969-9524
- Real Time Data Services. Telephone: (888) 408-6044
- nGenx. Telephone: (888)-696-4369 x4
- Harborcloud. Telephone: (877)-294-2909
- Proxios. Telephone: (804)-342-1200
- WY Technology. Telephone: (858)-748-1600, ext 333
- Infinitely Virtual. Telephone: (866) 257-8455
- Skysphere. Telephone:(866) 592-6331
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Q: What does "hosting" mean?
A: Hosting simply means that the QuickBooks software and data files are stored, accessed, and run on a service provider's servers, rather than on one's own PC. End users connect via the Internet to the service provider systems to access and run their QuickBooks software and data files.
Q: What is a Self-Host?
A: A Certified ProAdvisor or Certified Intuit Service Provider who provides limited application hosting services solely to clients. Self-hosts do not market and sell hosting services to the public. And Self Hosts must provide accounting or bookkeeping services to qualify for the Self Host Program.
Q: What is a Commercial Host?
A: A company that specializes in scalable and secure professional software and data hosting services for other companies that want to access all of their business applications and data remotely, in one place.
Q: What is the difference between QuickBooks Online Edition and the Intuit Hosting Program?
A: QuickBooks Online Edition is a fully web-based accounting software solution offered directly by Intuit. The QuickBooks Hosting Program is a distribution and licensing program that allows the desktop PC-based versions of QuickBooks for Windows (QuickBooks Pro, Premier versions and Enterprise) to be installed and managed for end users by a hosting service provider or accounting professional who provides users access to a secure server via the Internet. Users access their QuickBooks desktop software program on that server via the Internet using a user name and password to log into the host's server. While the key benefits of remote access and managed service are similar between QuickBooks Online Edition and hosted QuickBooks desktop software, the features, functionality and hosting platforms differ.
Q: I am interested in offering hosting services to my clients, but I don't want to become a Self-Host and be required to invest the time or money to purchase and install sophisticated network servers. What are my options?
A: The best option is to contact one of Intuit's Authorized Commercial Hosts and inquire about their referral programs. You do not need to become a Self-Host in order to participate in a referral program that allows you and your clients to sign up and use the hosting services of an Authorized Commercial Host. Contact one of Intuit's Authorized Commercial Hosts for details.
Q: Is using hosted QuickBooks slower than running QuickBooks on my own PC?
A: As with any Internet-based service, you will need a good Internet connection in order to utilize QuickBooks in a hosted environment, and you'll need a host with the expertise and capabilities to provide you with safe, secure and reliable access. Depending on your authorized host, the performance of the hosted system can approach the experience of running QuickBooks on a local PC, but your experience will vary depending on many factors, including the ones discussed above.
Q: What versions of QuickBooks software can be hosted?
A: The QuickBooks Hosting Program allows hosting of QuickBooks Pro, all QuickBooks Premier versions, and QuickBooks Enterprise Edition in accordance with Intuit's Service Discontinuation Plan policy. Versions of QuickBooks that are no longer supported under Intuit's Service Discontinuation Plan policy are not available for hosting.
Q: Do I have to be running Windows in order to use the hosting service, or will it work with Mac and Linux?
A: The QuickBooks Hosting program allows for the hosting of Windows-compatible versions of QuickBooks software. Depending on the hosting service provider, its browser and other requirements, and your own PC configuration and capabilities, you may be able to connect to their systems using Windows, Mac or Linux PCs. You must confirm accessibility with your chosen provider before you sign up for their services.
Q: Do I have to purchase QuickBooks software before I can have it hosted?
A: Yes. As an end user, you must have a valid license for each version of QuickBooks you choose to access via a hosting service and each person who accesses the software. If you have already purchased valid QuickBooks licenses for your users, you can provide your licenses to the authorized hosting service provider to host the corresponding copies of QuickBooks for you. If you need to purchase valid QuickBooks licenses, you purchase them directly from Intuit's National Team at competitive prices; or, in some cases, you can rent your QuickBooks licenses from an authorized Intuit Commercial Hosting service provider, which allows you to use a QuickBooks product on a monthly basis for as long as you purchase hosting services. See authorized commercial hosting providers for details and pricing.
Q: What happens if I wish to stop my QuickBooks hosting service after I've signed up with a provider?
A: If you wish to discontinue your QuickBooks hosting service with an authorized Commercial Host, simply copy your data files from the hosting service to your PC, retrieve any software licenses and authentic CD-ROM media you own from the hosting provider (if applicable), and terminate your service with the host according to their termination policies and your hosting contract. You will need to install QuickBooks on your local PC in order to open and continue to use your data files.
Q: Is my data secure when using the Intuit Hosting Program?
A: Intuit does not certify, guarantee or warrant individual commercial or self-hosts. Commercial and self-hosts who participate in the program are solely responsible for the security, privacy, availability and backup of QuickBooks data files and software that they host. However, Intuit has arranged for an independent, third-party hosting accreditation entity, the International Association of Managed Service Providers (MSP Alliance), to review commercial hosts before they join the program and become authorized. This process requires commercial hosts to complete and pass the independent MSP Alliance examination and onsite facility inspection, which gauge commercial hosts' abilities to host QuickBooks in a safe and secure environment. As for self-hosts, there is not currently an independent review, and Intuit does not conduct any review. Self-hosts are solely responsible for ensuring that their hosting facilities, technology and services are secure, private and reliable.
Q. What does the "Authorized Commercial Host" statement and logo mean?
A: This statement and logo mean only that Intuit has entered into a written agreement with the Commercial Host, which legally authorizes them to remotely host certain versions of QuickBooks software for properly licensed end users. It does not mean that Intuit endorses, sponsors, prefers, or is officially or exclusively partnered with commercial hosts.
Contact Us Today
For more details on how we can help boost your bottom line, schedule an appointment with a National Accounts team member:
- Email: email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!